Wednesday, August 15, 2007
60 things i love about being an Indian
Well today is India's 60th independence day ... the day we got our right from the British colonial rule . To many people this freedom is taken for granted and for many people we are still not free .... considering the exploitation which is going in the country ... so i thought what should i write about his day and the only thing i could think was 60 things i love about being an indian .
1. To be able to wake up in the morning not thinking abour how to dodge bullets as in many war ravaged countries
2. To be able to blog , debate and express my views without having the treath to go to jail ..... assert my freedom of expression
3. To experience all 4 seasons in one year
4. To have a choice to learn about 18 languages and still say we are learning a language from our country
5. To be a nuclear power and have the second largest Army , 3 largest Airforce and still take pride in the fact that we have not attacked any country in the past .
6. Butter Chicken .
7. To go to the Taj Mahal without paying exorbitant amounts .
8. To have about 15000 species of plants and have about 3000 species of animals .
9.Singing national Anthem at the top of my voice ( trying doing it ..... it is a different experience altogether )
10 . Bollywood
11. The invention of zero ( got i learned the value of this number after coming to BITS)
12. Maruti 800 ( the easiest car to drive anywhere in the world )
13 . Being able to walk anywhere .... middle of road , side of road , under the road ..... on road at all !!!
14 . Being able to call every stranger Uncle/ aunty / Bhaiya / didi / beta / beti ..... the last 2 after 20 - 25 years .
15 . To have a vada pav in one hand .... umbrella in the other and walking (jumping ) all around the road ... trying to protect yourself from potholes ..... this one would only be understood by mumbaikars ( i miss the city .... but goa rocks!!!)
16 . Chacha choudry ..... lovd the comics
17 . Nimbu pani ..... best drink ever ....
18 . bombay local train ..... experience in itself .
19 . Indian weddings ..... complete chaos .... complete anarchy ....... no coordination ... but still you will love it .
20 . Goa ...... mix of past , present and the hint of future .
21 . Where being a virgin till 30 is no big deal ( okk we all don't like this part )
22. Sari ...... the best dress a women can wear ... mix of sensuality , grace, sophistication and honour ....
23. music .... .. punjabi in north , gujrati in west , carnatic in south ... bengali in east ....
24 . gulab jamun , ras malai ... kheer .......
25. where drinking water is free .....
26. feeling of being one ... inspite of all the differences .
27 . Where living with parents is no shame ....." we don't take appointments to meet our parents " loved this quote by aishwarya rai .
28 . To support our cricket team inspite of whatever they play ( thanks for defeating england again after 60 years ).
29 . Tipu sultan , bhagat singh , Ashoka , akhbar , chandrashekar azad ........ grew up reading about them .... and their stories are better than any roman fables .
30 . To have a holiday on diwali, eid , gurupurab and christmas ....
31 . To tell the foreigners that 10 years back we were bankrupt ..... considering today we are one of the powerful economies .
32. To have a impartial judiciary ...... no distinction between a king and a popper .
33 . To eat butter chicken pizza ,gobi manchurian , american chopsuye dosa ........ we are best at improvising ... and ya these dishes are indian ... find me any of these things anywhere else in the world .
34. To play pkadam pakdai ...... patang udana , lattu chalana .... i kno i have passed that stage but loved doing these things .
35. To have the cpability to dream big and one day become a superpower ....( trust me one day i would write a post when i would write abt us being a superpower )
36. To be called a generation of young and have future in front of us ....
37 . To listen to pantera ...metallica..... learn salsa ... tango .. but still press the dj to play kajra re or beedi jalaike ... when we want to loose it .
38. To tell riksha vaala " bhaiya jaldi chalao "( drive faster ) ... but still waste 10 minutes to get him to reduce 2 rupees .
39. To get your whole family (extended ) to see you off when ONLY YOU are going for a week .... away .
40. To blame everything from hih prices to high temperature ... to why your dog didnot eat on the government .
41 . To go for walk in the garden ... walk for 10 rounds ..... become tired ... take an auto ride ..... and then go to the nearest restraunt and order cheese pav bhaji ( with extraaaa cheese ) ... cuz you are too tired .
42 . TO make your children eat badam every morning ..... dimaag ke liye acha hai ... eat curd before an exam ... shubh hota hai .
43. To go on a family trip with mummy papa chunnu munnu and tommy on one scooter .
44. To eat lint... toublerone .... mars and still say ... Dairy milk rocks!!!
45. To not to use a new phone too much ...... kyunki abhi to naya hai .... and then say ... out of fashion ho gaya .
46. To go to neighbours house to get 2 chamach cheeni ...
47. To play cricket in the gulli .... and run when you break a window .
48. Aishwarya rai , bipasha basu , katrina kaif and her ...
49. Param super computer
50. Indian railways ....... the whole country in a compartment .
51. To remeber god .... whenever we start something .
52. To touch the elders feet for their blessings .
53. TO tell the world about peace .
54. To help others .... when we ourselves might need one ( remember tsunami )
55 . To find a connection with somebody as my fathers cousins sister- inlaws sons wife's second cousin's son 's friend
56 . To laugh at santa banta jokes ...
57 . To eat laddu at every independence day
58 . To wear a kurta pajama ... wake up at 6 ...only for seeing tri colour flutter .
59 . To be proud to be an INDIAN
60 . TO be born in this great country and live here
i know some of these were follish but still these small things give me pleasures and
" A great life is nothing but a series of well lived days with small pleasures strung together like necklace of pearls "
- robin sharma